Annnnnd away we go (in CW)!

Thank you Rick and Morty for the title!

So, just had my first on-air CW QSOs last night: it was nerve-wracking, but a lot of fun!

Our CW class was over the last 7 weeks (with 1 week off), with last night being our first on-air QSOs from the Tampa Amateur Radio Club clubhouse (facebook twitter).

Here's a photo of me working from the clubhouse, using the club's IC-7700 and an N3ZN ZN-9 paddle (taken by my good friend and CW classmate K4WRX):


I was lucky to "talk" with K5TTE and WD8BPD. I recorded my qso with K5TTE: below is the QSO, in all it's painfully-slow glory =)


It was super slow-going: I was sending at 10wpm character speed, and about 5wpm overall word speed (ie: huuuuge gaps between letters and words), but I got the message out. My sending was *way* better than my copy: thankfully my instructor, Biff K4LAW, was there to help me with my copy. Just got to keep practicing on the copy, and it'll come.

I wanted to say a special "thank you" to WB4DKF and KX4TT for coaching the class as well: one of the great reasons why TARC is such a fantastic club!

It's kinda like the (paraphrased) words of Neo:


Comments

Popular Posts